Detroit’s annual Auto Parts show will resume on April 29 after more than two years on hiatus.
The Grand Prix has been rescheduled for April 21-22 after an emergency ruling from the state Public Utilities Commission that postponed the event.
The state Department of Environmental Quality said it was unable to cancel the event because of the threat of an emergency.
The decision was issued after the Detroit News reported that a “significant” number of safety violations had been committed by the auto parts suppliers at the event in 2015.
The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development and the city of Detroit issued permits for the show on Tuesday, and they were expected to open by Wednesday.
The Detroit News also reported that several of the manufacturers are now working to repair their facilities and put on more events.
The Auto Parts Industry Association (APIA), which represents the major auto parts makers, has already said it is “actively pursuing a course of action” to ensure safety of the event’s attendees.APIA president Bill Harkins told the Associated Press on Wednesday that he believes the decision is “the right thing to do for our industry.”
“I think it’s the right thing for our country and our country’s auto manufacturers,” he said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.